Information form Mr. Short, Principal
Dear Panther Parents and Students,
Hello, and welcome to another great school year with Asa Low Intermediate and MISD. We are so excited that you will be a part of our campus this year and are looking forward to seeing you next week. Here is the breakdown for you and your students so you know what to expect and can plan accordingly.
Prior to the first day of school: If you have not done so you will be required to provide a copy of your Proof of Residency (gas, water, or electric bill) and you must have completed your student’s online registration. By doing this step, it will save you so much time waiting in line on the first day of school.
Wednesday, August 15th is our FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL
• Classes begin at 8:30am and dismiss at 4:00pm
• You will incur lots of extra traffic these first few weeks, so please be patient and understand that it will improve. We will have this ship sailing smoothly in no time.
• Parents, you will need to circle around the building to the back and PULL FORWARD to the end of the curb when dropping off and picking up. This allows us to unload and load as many students at one time as possible.
• During the first few days of car rider PICK UP, please write your student’s first and last name on a piece of paper and place it on the dash of your vehicle. We will call your student out of the building to load vehicles. They are held in the cafeteria during our dismissal procedure for car riders only. Your student will come home with a placard with their name on it the first few days of school.
• The front of the building is ONLY USED for MISD buses and Daycare transportation. Therefore our crossing guards will direct you to the back of our building to pick up your student.
• If you are wanting to come into the building with your student you must park your vehicle (in a parking space) and enter with them. Do not park along any of the curbs at Asa Low as they are all FIRE LANES.
• Students enter the building through the side doors daily by our gyms and cafeteria. This will open at 8:00 am.
*If you need to drop off your student earlier than 8:00 am please enroll students into the MISD Quest Program. This program also offers after school care. Quest before school 7:00 am – 8:00 am and after school 4:00 pm – 6:30 pm
Thursday, August 16th is our Meet the Teacher Night
• 6th Grade 5:00 pm – 6:15 pm
• 5th Grade 6:45 pm – 8:00 pm
• Please take note of the times – the teachers will rotate locations for each time slot in order to better serve the needs.
• PE will be selling uniforms during this event so plan to bring your money for uniforms if you need to purchase. Shirts are $10.00, shorts are $10.00 and string bags are $10.00
• PTA will be here so be ready to sign up and help out these amazing parents. They will be looking for YOU! They cannot possibly do everything they do (which is a lot) without your help.
Things you may have questions about:
• Bus route locator information: If you are looking for your student’s bus number, bus stop, and times for pick up and drop off, it is all here for you.
* Please note that the first weeks of school they will tend to run late as the drivers and students are learning each other.
• Medications – If your student has medication that needs to be dropped off please bring that to the front office and our nurse will be happy to help with this process. You need a medication information form.
• If your student lost their schedule – DON’T WORRY!!! If your student needs a new copy of their schedule, please head to the library the first day of school in order to get a new copy. (Trust us, we know it happens)
• LOCKERS – Students will receive their lockers the first few days of school. We try our hardest to get them issued all a locker as quickly as possible. Sometimes it takes more than the first day. Trust us, we want them to have them issued as fast as we can. They will have their hall locker (given by the team teacher) and then a gym locker (issued by the coaches). You do not need to provide any locks.
• PE dressing out– Students will not begin dressing out the first week of school. They will start next Monday, 8/20/2018.
• School Supplies – If you ordered school supplies your student will have their supplies delivered to their classrooms. You will not need to pick anything up. For students that are bringing their supplies, you are welcome to bring them in the first day. If your student cannot carry all of their supplies they are welcome to bring in parts. You are also welcome to bring their supplies on Meet the Teacher.
• Lunch Times – When does my student go to lunch?
o Tulane and Yale 11:00 – 11:30
o Columbia and Vanderbilt 11:33 – 12:03
o Duke and Princeton 12:15 – 12:45
o Harvard and Stanford 12:48-1:18
PARENTS WE NEED YOU!!!!! Every year MISD requires that you complete the Campus Volunteer background check. You will need this to attend field trips and/or campus activities. They expire at the end of every school but the great news is you only need one for MISD. Please take the one to two minutes it takes to complete. Your service to our campus and our students is so greatly appreciated.